ShareThis

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Housewives, Drive-in Movies and Newborn Rock n Roll...

Last night we went to a BBQ for Courtney's mum's birthday. I absolutely love sitting around a table of cheese and wine making conversation with interesting people, I think it probably deserves a place on the bliss list. Last night, the wine was for everyone else, as I continue trying to shake off sugar. I remember a lot of good nights out that involved alcohol, and I'm sure I will have many more (Vodka and Coke Zero anyone?) but I am at a point where I really don't miss alcohol when I don't have it - its almost a feeling of freedom. Love it! 

Today we are off to the Auckland Museum to see the Outrageous Fortune exhibit with Courtney's family. I haven't been in 10 years or so, maybe its a good warm up for Europe! I have a nail appointment first, for a regular client and long time friend of mine. We always have a laugh together, it doesn't feel like work at all, which I think is how it should be! 

As I write this, I'm watching Elvis On Tour. I cant explain why I love Elvis, but I love his music, his movies... you know, I think the biggest thing I love about him is what he inspired in people. So many years on, he makes me think of an idealised 1950's world of well dressed housewives, drive in movies and newborn rock n roll. I know full well that the world in my imagination is highly romanticised and unrealistic, but if this image inspires me to live a better life, I'm OK with it! Bliss achieved :) 

What makes it onto your Bliss List? 

*** *** ***

A quick update on travel plans if you're interested - did I mention that in addition to the challenge of being on a bike – we’re camping most of the way?! We are on a budget, and camping is by far the cheapest sleeping option in the vast majority of areas. Being on the bike means we will be taking the bare essentials – a few changes of clothes, toiletries, tent and sleeping bags. Travelling with so few belongings is both daunting and exhilarating! 

Our itinerary changes almost daily at this stage as we find more sights to see, more out of reach towns we want to pass through and better campgrounds.Originally we planned on buying a bike and selling it at the end, but the red tape was taking the fun out of the adventure itself. At one point I had 20 web pages open in different tabs just to investigate the third party insurance that is compulsory across the EU, and it stopped being worth it. We knew hire was way out of our budget (Try 400 pounds a week for 15 weeks) but thought a hire company might know of a place that would offer a 4 month lease. Of 25 companies I contacted, half replied, and all said no - except one. 

Bournemouth Motorcycle Hire has come to our rescue with a ridiculously awesome deal on weekly hire for the duration of our trip. It is so exciting to know that we will see 9 countries on a 2010 Suzuki V-Strom DL650X. The only downfall is that this means that we now have to get the bike back to the start line and so the entire itinerary has been flipped upside down, when I thought it was almost there. The very idea that after hours of research and stress the bike is SORTED! I would begin planning all over again and not complain at all just to enjoy the relief of this moment.