ShareThis

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Rose by any Other Name...

I wonder how many parents still like the names they gave their children?

When I was a teenager, I was absolutely 100% sure that I would name my future child Aisha Isabella. Aisha means 'life' and I thought it was unique but not too weird. Now? I seriously can't imagine referring to a child of my own by that name. There's nothing wrong with the name, it just doesn't 'fit' anymore.

I remember my high school boyfriend's mother blatantly stating that she hated his name now but still liked his sisters! My own Mum still maintains that she likes the names she chose for us, but she has to say that, doesn't she?!

I have to say my own name has grown on me over the years. I used to hate it! I went through about 10 years of life insisting that people called me Penelope instead of the shortened version my family had always called me by. Now I feel like Penelope as a name is so snobby, and Penny far more relaxed.

I ask these questions because I saw someone ask another blogger what their favourite name was and it made me think. So right now, my favourite names are Emma, Lucy, Isabella and Georgia. Yep, they're all girls names, and I've liked them for years. There just aren't any boys names that stick out for me. I wonder, now that they're out in here in cyberspace, how much they will change before I have any kids of my own to give them to?

Do you like your own name? Have you changed your mind over the years? And if you're a parent, I'm curious - do you still like the names you chose?