ShareThis

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Career Breakthrough!

We already know I can't leave well enough alone or sit still long enough to get to Europe and back before making more plans. I'd be lying if I said I'd tried, because I haven't, but that's because I can't think of many things worse. So while everyone was watching movies and baking amazing sugar-free cookies over Easter Weekend, I was building a new website for my nails business.

I've been thinking about how I can branch out with nails, from tupperware-style Mani Parties to Corporate Manicures similar to the 15 minute massages we get every couple of months at work. So then I thought, what better way to combine both my current careers than teaching new Nail Technicians how to do nails? I had vaguely thought about doing this when I first started doing nails but I had very little nail experience and just as little training experience. Fast track to now and I have almost 5 years behind me in nails and I'm closing in on 4 years training. It just makes sense.

I thought about pricing and what I would need to make it happen. I don't have a house let alone a studio so it would have to be a mobile me-come-to-you type deal unless I rented space. Trainees would need a start up kit so I factored that in too. The school at which I trained is also the national distributor for the brand of products I work with. Unless you have trained under them you can't use the products so my trainees could end up stuck in that respect.

I had a brainwave and emailed the school - would it be possible to become an accredited trainer for their brand? They emailed back today saying they could definitely make it happen. I didn't realise how much I loved the idea until the email came through and I overflowed with excitement. This could really be a big deal for me! With a lot of hard work and persistance, there is the potential for this to become the bread and butter that allows me to pursue success in freelance writing. I've been reading over at Lives of Wander about the pros and cons of freelancing and it calls to me. No office, no hours, no alarm, and the freedom to keep my house tidy, cook meals for my man and potentially foster sooner than expected as well.

This is the breakthrough I needed. I know we haven't even left for Europe yet (42 Days!) but I am a person of huge ambition who needs constant action and motivation. I had no idea what I wanted to do when we got back. I'm still open to a lot of options but finally, finally I'm excited about the potential this new beginning holds.

When was the last time you made a life-changing decision and how did it work out? I think I can, I think I can...