ShareThis

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Right Mindset for Change

Often when I talk about being Sugar-free, people react with a 'too hard' attitude. I hear everything from 'I like sugar too much' to 'I would have to change too much', but it all boils down to the whole thing being too much like hard work. You know what? You're right, it is too hard - unless you're in the right frame of mind.

I gave up on being sugar-free last time because I hit a really difficult time in my personal life, and I was no longer in the right frame of mind to do the work. I attempted to go sugar-free before Christmas, but after 3 days I realised the holiday season was asking for failure. The first few weeks of being sugar-free are the hardest, and I didn't need the temptation of Christmas treats as well. I binged over the holidays and ate everything I wanted, and at midnight on New Years Eve, I stopped.

Soul Buddy is similar, we were talking the other day about her wanting to change her exercise routine because her current one is hard to stick to. We decided that until she decides she wants to do it rather than she should do it, it's just not going to happen. For now, shes aware of changes she could make, and one day she will wake up with the want that will make them happen. It has happened to her before with different things, just like it has happened to me and just like it has happened to you.

Think about the last time you woke up and cleaned the house top to bottom. It might have been a while ago, but I'm willing to bet you thought about it for a long time before one day you just had the motivation.

The example I really wanted to share with you, was that of my other-best-friend, Squish. I know people generally feel different to how they portray themselves, especially when it comes to confidence, but as far as I'm concerned (unless she tells me otherwise), Squish is confident in who she is and that confidence is inspiring and beautiful. I can only speak for the outward impression she gives, and I wont speak for anything she has ever told me, but unless someone means a lot to her and has earned her trust, she doesn't give a hoot what they think of her.

I cant compare Squish and Soul Buddy with each other, they each have their own beautiful place in my life, and Soul Buddy is as much of a sister to me as my own flesh and blood. Squish and I have things we do together just as Soul Buddy and I have things we do together. Of course there is some overlap, but one of the things Squish and I do well is party. We are a very good party team. We have very similar music taste and very different taste in boys. Its a winning combination, and it wouldn't be the same without the infectious confidence she portrays.

A couple of months ago, Squish decided it was time to get healthy. She started following the 3/10 rule (eating foods that are less than 3% fat and 10% sugar) and attending boot camp sessions in the local park while also playing summer hockey, which she does every year. By making a conscious, motivated decision that it was time for a change, Squish has completely turned around her life, fitness, eating habits and attitude. She keeps me motivated to keep on track with sugar. We share tips and new foods we've found, and her self-motivation is inspiring. There are no short cuts, there are no tricks or fads. She found the motivation and she is changing her entire life. All she needed was for the right pieces to fall into place at the right time, and then to harness the motivation she found.

Squish is inspiring and she is living proof that if you think about it long enough, and make small steps towards whatever it is that you want, one day you will be gifted the tools to succeed. Motivation, Attitude, Energy. Squish works really hard at making sure this change for the better is permanent, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

If you could change one thing about your life this year, what would it be? Forget what you should change, what do you want?