ShareThis

Monday, March 28, 2011

One of the Family

As you know, we were in Napier for the weekend with Courtney's family. His Dad and Stepmum are up here in Auckland so we see them frequently, and while I've met his Mum on many occasions, I've only met her side of the family once, the last time we went down to visit. Let me just say, these people are some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

We got completely and utterly spoiled with amazing food and company. This makes complete sense for Courts and Nats as family, but you would never have known I had only met these people once prior. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, I felt like I was part of the family, and it meant the world to me.

One of my favourite things was something very simple. Court's Gramps calls me Tuppence and I love it. For those that don't get the reference, Tuppence is slang for two pence, or pennies. When I was at school I hated people making jokes about my name, but this makes me feel so included and welcome. Gramps is everything a good Grandpa should be - strong and protective and loving and kind, basically a big teddy bear. He's also an ex-All Black which is pretty much the coolest thing a Gramps can be.

On Saturday night the family gathered at one of Courtney's Uncles houses for dinner. They made sure there was chicken for me for dinner, because they know I don't eat red meat. Now I'm completely used to just eating more of everything else, I don't mind at all when a meal includes something I don't eat, I'll just make do. So I felt a little bit bad that they had gone to so much effort but at the same time it was so nice of them to think of me. I wish I could mention how awesome and kind each and every person in Courtney's family has been to me but you would get sick of me gushing, so I won't!

I feel like I'm extremely lucky to have such a great family-in-law. I've been out with boys whose parents didn't care enough to talk to them let alone me, and others whose parents were so over protective the son could do no wrong - and so all blame was on me. I have friends with amazing families-in-law and others with not so great. I find it really interesting how degrees in separation can mean two people loved equally by a common person, can be so incredibly different and either mesh or clash.

With all the anonymity that this lovely bloggy world affords you, which category do you fall into? Who has been the best? Maybe you've seen the worst!