ShareThis

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Heaven in my Headphones

Recently, I was walking to the bank in my lunch break listening to music on shuffle. Everything that came up fit perfectly together - a little Janes Addiction, some Skid Row, a touch of Motley Crue. My step picked up, my mood lifted and I felt like I could take on the world, all because a few strangers put beats to a certain time and notes in a certain order.

This got me to thinking... if Janes Addiction, Skid Row and Motley Crue had a little love child, would it not be a little piece of heaven?



Of course, everyone has different tastes and it might not be your idea of heaven, but in the world of glam rock it would be something pretty sweet. I wonder what it is that makes us each feel different types of music - because that's what it is for me, I don't hear music, I feel it. Are you the same?

I know some of it is nostalgia. My Dad owned 4 CDs - Queens Greatest Hits, a Melissa Etheridge one and 2 Mariah Carey discs (old school Mariah, the best kind). To this day, they are some of my favourite artists. I remember hearing Guns n Roses on the radio at Dad's work too, as he and his brother built boats, singing across the massive shed. My sister and I would be pottering around, building things or playing in the office and hearing the grown ups laughing. I suppose Mum can't take as much credit for my musical taste, but let's just say there a reason I still love Achy Breaky Heart. I think I found my niche on my own, although once I made friends with similar interests my world expanded.



I remember being at a friends house at 14, hearing Rage Against the Machine for the first time. We spent an entire summer listening to Rage, Linkin Park, and Korn. Not all of those bands made it into my permanent playlist, however they helped me branch out and discover different types of music. Even though I don't love Linkin Park, I love the songs that remind me of that endless summer.

As an indecisive person, my taste isn't limited to rock and metal... I love Ben Harper, Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson just as I love Britney Spears, Rihanna and Katy Perry. Imagine those three as a girl band! I just always head back to rock, especially Glam Rock. The music inspires me, moves me and motivates me.

So... who would make up your dream supergroup? And where did your music taste originate?