ShareThis

Monday, May 23, 2011

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Beauvoir, France

After London, we take an early (very early) morning train to Bournemouth on the south coast to pick up our bike at 9am. We then have a ferry from Poole to Cherbourg, France and then a drive to Beauvoir for our first stop. 

Where we will sleep

Camping Aux Pommiers (Campsite)
How long? 2 nights
How much? €19.70 per night (2 adults, small tent, 1 motorbike)
Check in?  12 noon, and you have to be there by 7pm or they will give your pitch away! We should be there around 8.30pm, which I've told them. They said if reception is lcosed there's a number on the door we can call so that's all good. We will be fresh off our first stretch on the bike - 2.5 hours from the ferry at Cherbourg.
Check out? 12 noon. We're on our way to Paris, 3.5 hours away, but we will take our time leaving Beauvoir.
Why we chose it? We're staying in Beauvoir for the sole purpose of seeing Mont St Michel, and this campsite is only 4km away from it. There's a laundry, swimming pool, heaps of activities. They don't take bookings though, so fingers crossed they have room for us!

What we want to see

Mont St Michel - Mont St Michel is the sole purpose of our one night stop over in Beauvoir. It's a small island about 1km off the coast of France, famed for the Abbey that takes up most of it's mass.
€9 each
Opening Hours for the Abbey 9am-7pm every day in Summer, closing one hour earlier in Winter.

What we are expecting

As far as Beauvoir is concerned, I’m expecting it to be a little bit middle-of-nowhere. We’re there for the sole purpose of seeing Mont St-Michel and I can’t wait. I had one of those 3D puzzles of it when I was 9 or 10 and made it with my Dad, and when I realized I could see the real thing I was stoked. It was also one of the first things Courtney got excited about when I showed him pictures. I expect it to be cobbled and narrow, a little cramped, as if they’ve fit a lot onto the island. I’m sure it’s a lot more tourist-y than it is in my head, but hopefully it still retains it’s charm.